Friday, November 14, 2008

Psalm 131

Excerpt from "Encouragement for Today" - November 14, 2008

Psalm 131 "Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved myself, as a child tha tis weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. Let Israel hope in the Lord from henceforth and for ever."

Determining the right time to wean depends on the child and the parent but when the time comes, weaning involves withholding from the child what he wants, but no longer needs. God often withholds things we want but do not need, in order to change our appetites. This is not meant to inflict anxiety or pain, but to mature us and prepare us for the next level in our walk with Him. Too often we want life to be easy and comfortable. We don't want to grow up and face responsibilities. But that would lead to stunted development. We forget that growth and maturity are almost always forged through some type of hard work or difficultly.



Other times, however, we do want to grow up -- WAY UP -- and we get in a hurry to do so. We're like the toddler who assumes she is can do everything herself. Psalm 131 speaks to this tendency in us as well. David says in the first verse that he keeps his soul from being too proud or overly ambitious. Basically, David is saying he has to make sure he doesn't get too big for the britches God has given him!

1 comment:

A Marriage After His Heart said...

I really neded this right at this moment.