Thursday, November 06, 2008

I'm Glad I'm Saved, Too.

Previously posted on Facebook.

Last Sunday night our Pastor stood before our congregation and said the most powerful and moving words to summarize the end of this presidential campaign. I paraphrase, "After its all said and done we [the saints] have still got to be unified and continue to fight together the devil that is threatening our very souls.The way you vote does not determine your salvation. Neither of the candidates are saved." He didn't say these words before an audience of all black or all white. All poor or all rich. Not even all Democrats or all Republicans. He said it to the church.

The past few months have shown me sides of people that I never thought possible. (Some of whom I've loved and adopted as my own family.) I've ignored many of the comments, emails, posts, etc. I would love to erase many of the words and actions that I've experienced to keep my heart clear. But, we can't. However, I must strive to remember that we are brothers and sisters. Just like you can't take my salvation, I can't take yours. I can't judge your spiritual walk, nor you mine.

We do serve a loving God who commands that we love, respect, prefer, honour, submit, and forgive one another. Maybe our world views are highly different. Our backgrounds not the same. Maybe you don't understand my thoughts or what drives my actions. But, there is a way we can agree to disagree in the spirit of holiness. That's something we can never lose. There is a way that we can agree to disagree without condemning our brother's or sister's intellect. That's something we can never lose. I want to challenge everyone on both sides to think about our words, our actions, our status messages, and see if it's promoting the peace of God. If I have said anything to cause conflict, I apologize. Do I have the right to vote, post, and think the way I want. Yes. Does God hold me accountable? Yes. Do I want to make heaven my home? Yes. Then rest assured all of my actions will be in looking to God the author and finisher of my faith. But, if my hidden motives are to wound or cast negative judgement. If my hidden motives are to question another's walk, may I stand in fear of the wrath of God.

We cannot insinuate that the way one voted determines their salvation. We'd make ourselves God. I do not wish to go into a political argument. This note is only to express the deep hurt and shock at the words that have been said to me and others. I do not say this alone. "I pray for you. You pray for me. We're all apart of God's body." If you don't believe that, maybe it's time for some real truths to be made.

God Bless The Church of God.

2 comments:

BASF said...

The Bible says division is sin.

And it says be ye kind one to another....

And it says to pray for those in authority.

There was not a democratic society when those words were written. Much was condoned by that government that we would not condone as saints, but the saints were still admonished to pray for those in authority.

I don't think we've ever been taught that we'll see eye to eye on everything but those doctrines that have built the church of God. If we were all alike and all felt the same way and all thought the same, why would there have been a need for the admonition to "walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God."

That doesn't mean I always have to agree with you; but it means I must always remember that you deserve respect and consideration regardless of whether we agree.

My last comment is: In the past when I've been hurt and I was tempted with all kinds of emotions, my greatest guard against allowing the hurt to create bitterness in me was the simple thought I DON'T WANT TO BE THAT WAY. Regardless of what was done to me, I knew in my heart that I did not want to return evil for evil.

Hold fast to the attributes of the Spirit--love peace, joy, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, kindness.

Fight the good fight of faith; lay hold on eternal life.

In other words, hang in there!

Anonymous said...

AMEN SISTER!!! To disagree on candidates is a matter of opinion. To divide the Church over candidates is sin.

BTW, regarding your previous post...I would have possibly enjoyed being there for such a historical moment...and I voted for McCain!