Monday, November 06, 2006

parent/teacher conferences

so, tonight was parent teacher conferences. I was at school working from 4pm to 9pm! ugh! but the nice thing about it is that i got to sleep in today (since i didnt have to be at work until 4pm). too bad, i had a major headache all day. but hopefully i'll be able to enjoy my day off tomorrow more so.

this year has been quite different in terms of teaching. i work in a working class suburb and most of the students come from stable, 2-parent homes, where the Moms stay at home or only work part time. but i think our demographic is changing. this year i have quite a few students whose parents are just too busy with their personal lives to take an interest in their children. i mean i understand single parent homes and whatnot, but at what point to they realize that.."ok, im struggling, but i don't want my children to struggle in their lives so im going stress to them the importance of education." i dunno. its difficult. i know big city schools and low-income areas have this problem all the time. but it's new for me this year. no homework, cant reach a parent, some of my kids come to school like they just rolled out of bed. its touching. one positive note about conferences, it helps me understand my students more so. now i can look at them with a new light.

continue to pray for me. i want to be a better friend and teacher. i need more patience and people skills. and most importantly more love. that scripture about love covering a multitude of sins is sooo true. like its harder to see faults if you truly have love for someone. the devil wants you to find fault with everyone and you miss the good attributes in them. im finding this out more and more with my students and even with dealing with people. keep me in your prayers, im not there yet. luv.

No comments: